Accounting and Finance for Non-Accountants
This webinar will provide a practical demonstration of accounting processes, systems and theory for those seeking a broader understanding of their role in the finance team. The webinar is designed to give participants an understanding of what happens in accounting behind the computer screen.
Participants will gain a practical understanding of accounting principles, the greater accounting functionality, and how their role fits into the wider finance team. It will break down accounting theory and explaining how it works in practice. Participants will work through the accounting transactional flow in detail and gain an understanding of how it applies to their job function.Key learning areas of this webinar are:
- Introduction to accounting principles, fundamental accounting concepts and jargon
- Understand the purpose of bookkeeping, debits and credits, double-entry accounting and the bank view versus the organisational view
- Accounting processes - the flow of accounting journals and ledgers
- Understanding the accrual accounting versus cash accounting and the various period-end adjustments
- Understanding the Trial Balance, Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Statement
- Reading, understanding the Cash Flow Statement and the different between Profit and Cash Flow
- Budgeting and forecasting, including variance analysis and an introduction to rolling forecasts.
- Describe the Accounting Entity Concept
- Describe the basic concepts of accounting
- Understand the key financial reports, including Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Statement and Cash Flow Statement
- Detail what the financial reports do and do not tell you
- List and describe the key ratios in evaluating a business' performance
- Understand the budgeting process and variance analysis.
Upon satisfactory completion of this webinar you will be able to:
Participants will gain a practical understanding of accounting and finance that is often overlooked at tertiary education. They will gain valuable insight into basic accounting principles, systems and theories and how they relate to the workplace.
This live webinar will be taking place on Monday 11 March 2019 at 10AM AEST and will run for 2 hours. If you can't make the live session, you will receive a copy of the recording within 1 hour of the live session taking place.
Steven Forgione - Bentleys NSW has nearly 20 years professional experience in the accounting and finance sector, providing accounting, taxation and general business advice to private clients and small to medium sized businesses. He understands the special needs of high net worth individuals, business groups and family businesses, and has provided valuable advice to clients and businesses across a broad range of industries. Steven has run introductory accounting and finance workshops for many large corporates, accounting firms, and the general public in various forms over the last 14 years.
Topic: Business Mindset, Future Focused, Reporting
Sub-Topic: Business Reporting, Business Tax, Finance Management, Operational Excellence
Proficiency Level: Foundation, Intermediate
CPD: 2 hours