Analysing data for business insights series
Be part of the discussion about data analytics. Many organisations collect data about their customers, operations, and environment – but are you using your data for business advantage? This micro course series introduces you to the process and practices of data analysis, so you can identify opportunities to use data to solve business problems.
The ‘Analysing data for business insights’ micro course series will demonstrate how to use data to solve business problems. You’ll learn how to identify data opportunities, gather, and analyse data, and communicate findings in your organisation. You’ll learn how to use modern business intelligence tools, and how to manage the ethical issues associated with the use of data.
Throughout this series, you’ll boost your ability to contribute to the conversation about data in your organisation – how it’s gathered and used, and how it impacts business decisions. This series includes 4 self-directed online learning units, as well as 2 workshops where you will have the opportunity to work with an expert in data analytics.
Note: This micro course series is not recommended if you have recently completed the Data Analytics and Insights CA Program subject, as content will overlap between the two.
By attending this micro course series, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the data analysis process
- Analyse business problems to identify how data analytics can contribute to solutions
- Evaluate the suitability of data and prepare it for further analysis
- Use judgment to select and apply data analytic strategies and techniques to generate insights
- Communicate results of data analyses to stakeholders to provide actionable insights that address business problems
- Discuss the ethical considerations when using data.
When you choose this micro course series, you’ll get an overview of the data analysis process. The first micro course introduces the steps and key concepts in data analysis. You’ll then take a deeper dive into each part of the process as you progress through the next 3 micro courses where you will learn how to use Power BI to complete the steps in the data analysis process. You will also practice these skills through a real-world case study.strong.
- Get familiar with the processes and concepts in data analytics
- Learn how to use Power BI to complete key parts of the data analytics process
- Work through real-world case study activities to practice analysing data
- Learn from experts in data analytics, through videos and live workshops
View the Agenda tab for further course information.
Analysing data for business insights consists of 4 self-paced digital learning courses and 2 virtual practical application workshops.
- Introduction to data analytics (4-hour self-paced digital learning + 2 hour live virtual workshop)
- Preparing data for analysis (4-hour self-paced digital learning)
- Techniques for data analysis (3-hour self-paced digital learning)
- Telling stories with data (5-hour self-paced digital learning + 3 hour live virtual workshop)
The above self-paced timings are an estimate. This series provides the flexibility to access the online courses at any time and study at your own pace. The time it takes you to complete the digital learning component will depend on your level of prior knowledge, competency level and pace of study.
This micro course series does not have a mandatory assessment component. However, you are encouraged to attempt online quizzes to challenge yourself and validate your understanding of the course topics.
Workshops will be provided at scheduled intervals and will be readily available so you can join a workshop when you are ready to do so; but ideally after you’ve completed the corresponding digital component.
Content and Curriculum Lead (Data Analytics and Emerging Technologies), Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand (CA ANZ), Australia
Ilja works for CA ANZ as a Content and Curriculum Lead, who provides leadership and direction in developing and facilitating curricula in Information Technology, Data Analytics, and Strategic Intelligence. Being also an Adjunct IT and Data Analytics lecturer, Ilja has worked closely with students and professionals from diverse cultures, ages, backgrounds and learning levels and have a deep commitment to empowering them to achieve their academic and professional goals.
Director and Principal Analyst of Perceptive Data
Grant works for Perceptive Data, a data analytics company specialising in developing visual analytics and communicating data analytics across a range of industries. Grant also has extensive experience in education as a leading teacher in secondary education, is the course coordinator in Data Analytics for Sport Management at Federation University Australia, and holds a Bachelor of Computing and Graduate Diploma of Education qualifications. He is excited by the opportunity to facilitate the CPD micro course workshops and work with participants to build their skills and capabilities in data analytics and data storytelling.
Access to the course is available for 6 months from the purchase date.
This micro course series will be taught on the CA ANZ My Capability - Learn Learning Management System, which can be accessed via computer, laptop or other similar technology. For an excellent experience, the technical requirements below are recommended, however the course will function with lower specifications. Please note, you’ll need access to Microsoft Power BI for Unit 2.
- Windows 10 (latest version)
- Mac OSX Catalina (10.15)
- 10 Mbps download
- 4 Mbps upload
- Chrome (latest version)
- MS Edge (latest chromium version)
RAM (random access memory)
- 8 GB (<75% used)
- 1280 x 1024 px
- 1280 x 720 px
- Access to Microsoft PowerBI
- Analysis Toolpak in Excel (a Microsoft Add-in)
- Headset with microphone
Topic: Business Mindset
Sub-Topic: Operational Excellence
Format: Blended Learning
Proficiency Level: Foundation, Intermediate
CPD: Upto 21 hours