SMSF Foundations 2020: Superannuation Contributions (November 2020, theory)
This session provides an outline of the superannuation compliance and taxation rules in relation to superannuation contributions. This is the second module of five in the Foundations series.
Contributions of cash and other assets into superannuation has always been an important part of accumulating retirement wealth. With rules around the amount you can contribute, as well as the penalties for contributing too much, it is vital that you keep up to date with these developments. Topics for this session include:
- What a superannuation contribution is.
- When a contribution is considered received by the superannuation fund.
- The rules governing when a superannuation trustee can accept a contribution from or on behalf of a fund member
- The various contribution caps, how they operate and apply to an individual
- Total superannuation balance and the interaction with contribution caps
- The contribution reporting requirements for an SMSF trustee
Upon completion of this module participants will be able to:
- Explain what a superannuation contribution is
- Compare the different methods of making a contribution and differentiate the timing outcomes of each method
- Define the rules that allow a superannuation trustee to accept a contribution from or on behalf of a member
- Define the various contribution caps and demonstrate their application
- Define total superannuation balance
- Evaluate the effect of a member’s total superannuation balance on various contribution caps
- Identify the fund contribution reporting requirements
Tracey’s extensive experience gives her a valuable insight into the pressures of being in public practice. She also understands the enormous opportunities that self managed super funds (SMSF) offer clients.
Sub-Topic: Tax Administration
Format: Recorded Webinar
Proficiency Level: Foundation
CPD: Upto 1 hours