Special Tax & Superannuation topics 2022-23 - Extracting capital from entities: More advanced issues
- Accessing tax sheltered amounts from companies
- Tax implications of liquidation of companies
- Demerger rollover
- Gain an understanding of how a shareholder can access concessionally taxed amounts from a company (e.g active asset reduction amounts) in a tax effective form
- Analysis of how to extract gains disregarded under the 15 year- exemption from a company. Practical steps in getting funds out of the entity
- Understand the role of liquidating a company in extracting tax-sheltered amounts (active asset reduction amounts or pre-85 reserves) to shareholders
- Gain an understanding (high-level) of what demerger rollover is and when might it be used in the SME space
This session forms part of the Special Tax & Superannuation Topics Series. These concise 1.5-hour sessions have been specifically designed for an online platform to ensure training is informative, immersive and even fun. These sessions will:
- Ensure you get the critical knowledge you need while minimising your time out of the office.
- Assist you in providing proactive tax and superannuation advice and identifying tax planning opportunities early
- Help you avoid any possible traps and pitfalls
- Give you answers to the questions most relevant to you.
Our partnership with Thomson Reuters gives you the most up-to-date information, updated regularly and enhanced by our technical specialists.
Continuing Professional Development Hours
The content covered in this topic should constitute verifiable CPD for CA ANZ, has been assessed for ASIC and FASEA CPD and also meets the Tax Practitioners Board's CPE requirements. The expected CPD hours to be allocated are as follows:
|CA ANZ||Up to 1.5 CPD hours|
|Legislated CPD (FASEA)||Up to 1.5 hours (General)|
|ASIC||Up to 1.5 hours (General)|
|Tax Practitioners Board||Up to 1.5 CPD hours|
This series is presented by our Senior Tax & Superannuation trainers:
Stephen Holmes, Senior Tax and Superannuation Trainer, CA ANZ
Stephen is a partner at WMS Chartered Accountants and has more than 20 years’ experience in providing specialist tax advice. He has concentrated on tax consulting and has provided tax advice to high-net-worth clients since 1994. Stephen also consults to other accounting firms on technical and/or complex tax matters. His particular focus is capital gains tax, employee share schemes, tax consolidation and international tax matters. He has extensive experience in managing tax disputes with the Australian Taxation Office.
Lydia Kovacevich, Senior Tax and Superannuation Trainer, CA ANZ
Lydia has over 20 years of experience in the tax and accounting industry working for, at various times, a ‘big four’ accounting firm, a second-tier firm, a global oil and gas service company, a tax training organisation and the Australian Taxation Office.
During this time Lydia acquired extensive experience in tax and accounting matters relevant to various types of entities and industries and gained a wealth of experience in writing about tax. Lydia has strong analytical and technical abilities and is very passionate about tax education.
Sub-Topic: Income Tax
Format: Recorded Webinar
Proficiency Level: Intermediate, Advanced
CPD: Upto 1.5 hours