National SMSF & Financial Advice Conference 2023
Join us in Hunter Valley at the leading education event for SMSF practitioners, advisers, auditors, administrators, and financial advisers.
The National SMSF & Financial Advice Conference held on Thursday 9 & Friday 10 November, will equip you with valuable tools, strategies and key takeaways you need to advise your clients with confidence and accuracy in a rapidly changing SMSF and financial advice industry.
Program highlights include:
- Managing the new ‘$3m cap’
- The practical application of Non Arm's length transactions
- Dealing with Property Development in SMSFs
- Contribution rules
- Protecting assets when facing business restructuring
Conference package options and features
This year we have three conference packages designed to extend your knowledge, engage you with a variety of training formats and provide you with your recommended yearly CPD hours.
Refer to the ‘Other’ tab to view package options with more details and pricing.
Day 1 – Conference (9 Nov)
This conference is an extended, face-to-face single day conference with expert speakers and panellists focusing on the key issues, concerns, and opportunities in the SMSF and financial advice space. It will feature a myriad of networking events including a business dinner.
Day 2 – Masterclass (10 Nov)
As part of the conference, you will attend a 3-hour masterclass which allows you to get a practical deep dive into topical issues affecting the industry and your clients. Choose between two masterclass option depending on your area of expertise: SMSF Strategy & Financial Advice, or SMSF Audit.
Specialist breakfast session (Exclusively for CA SMSF or Financial Planning Specialist)
1-hour breakfast session with industry experts with an informative and robust discussion of some of the latest issues facing us and our clients.
SMSF Virtual Training Communities
The 2-hour long training communities (held in March and April 2024) are made up of two sessions – an SMSF & financial advice update as well as a topical superannuation topic.
Up to 5.5 additional CPD hours worth of relevant content to watch where and when it suits.
Key learning outcomes
After attending the various events within our SMSF & Financial Advice Conference Package, participants should be able to:
- Identify the legislative and regulatory changes that may affect your clients and describe their impact.
- Interpret the implications of legislative and regulatory changes on client matters.
- Develop and formulate strategies that may assist in managing the effect of legislative and regulatory changes.
- Understand what SMSF and financial planning strategies are available for clients.
- Obtain the required practical knowledge to execute those strategies.
Continuing Professional Development Hours
Our SMSF & Financial Advice Conference will be assessed for verifiable CA ANZ and SMSF Association CPD. The sessions in the conference are also likely to meet the Legislated CPD (formerly FASEA) and Tax Practitioners Board CPD requirements.
The expected CPD hours to be allocated to this conference are as follows:
- CA ANZ: Up to 22 verifiable CPD hours
- SMSF Association: Up to 22 CPD hours
- Legislated CPD (formerly FASEA): Up to 22 CPD hours
- Tax Practitioners Board: Up to 22 CPD hours
Hours subject to change – please check closer to the event date.
Available CPD hours will differ depending on which conference package you register for.
View the full program and learn more about each session here.
Day 1 - 9 November
|9 - 10am AEDT||Conference Open and Welcome |
An industry snapshot & advocacy update
|10 - 10:30am AEDT||SMSF Compliance - what's on the regulator's radar?|
|10:30 - 10:45am AEDT||Government Body Address|
|11:05 - 12:05pm AEDT |
Breakout Session 1
|12:10 - 1:10pm AEDT |
Breakout Session 2
|2:05 - 3:05pm AEDT |
Breakout Session 3
|3:20 - 4:20pm AEDT |
Breakout Session 4
|4:25 - 5:25pm AEDT||Ethical Considerations for Accountants and Financial Services Advisers|
|5:25 - 5:40pm AEDT||Address by Shadow Treasurer|
|5:40 - 6pm AEDT||Government Body Address|
|6:30 - 9pm AEDT||Business Dinner|
Day 2 - 10 November
|7:30 - 8:30am AEDT||Specialist Breakfast |
Morning breakfast with the gurus
|9:30 - 12:30pm AEDT|
- Held on 13 March & 21 May 2024, the 2 hour sessions will consist of:
- 1 hr SMSF & Financial Advice Update
- 1 hr Special topic
Learn more about our conference presenters here.
- Tony Negline, Superannuation and Financial Services Leader, Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand
- Justin Micale, Justin Micale, Assistant Commissioner, Self Managed Super Funds Risk and Strategy, Australian Taxation Office
- David Busoli, Practice Principal & SMSF Specialist Mentor, SMSF Alliance
- Graeme Colley, Executive Manager Technical & Private Wealth, SuperConcepts
- Phil Broderick, Principal – Business Law, Sladen Legal
- Julie Steed, Senior Technical Servical Manager, IOOF
- Melanie Dunn, Principal, Accurium
- Andrew Doherty, Director, AssureInvest
- Liz Westover, Partner, Deloitte
- Jemma Sanderson, Director, Cooper Partners
- Peter Bobbin, Principal Lawyer, Coleman Greig Lawyers
- John Prowse, Head of Education/Director, AVALONfs
- Shelley Banton, Head of Education, ASF Audits
- Tim Miller, SMSF Technical & Education Manager, Smarter SMSF
- Shirley Schaeffer, Partner, Superannuation, BDO
- Matina Moffitt, Partner, Financial Services – Superannuation, Audit & Assurance, BDO
To view further details regarding the venue and activities to book while in the Hunter Valley follow the link here.
Rydges Resort Hunter Valley
(Formerly Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley)
430 Wine Country Drive, Lovedale NSW 2325
The Hunter Valley is a paradise for wine lovers and nature enthusiasts. Savor delicious wines at famous vineyards, relish gourmet meals amidst stunning landscapes, and take hot air balloon rides over rolling vineyards, offering a delightful mix of relaxation and adventure.
|Only eligible for approved CA SMSF or Financial Planning CA Specialists||$1,342|
Topic: Financial Advisory and Superannuation
Sub-Topic: Self-Managed Superannuation Funds
Proficiency Level: All
CPD: Upto 21 hours