Advanced New Zealand Tax Training Workshop
This activity is presented by PwC-New Zealand.
The two day course builds on our popular foundation workshop, through in-depth and practical sessions on key areas of New Zealand tax facilitated by senior PwC New Zealand tax specialists.
The workshops will be fun and interactive, to help you understand your responsibilities and requirements in meeting your New Zealand tax obligations. All key taxes will be covered, including income tax, GST, FBT and payroll obligations.
Tax issues specific to New Zealand companies with overseas shareholders or subsidiaries will be covered including transfer pricing, financing and employee mobility.
For more information, please click here
The tax world is rapidly changing, and it is no different in New Zealand. Keeping up to date with recent and proposed legislative tax changes, adopting digital technologies and having a constructive relationship with Inland Revenue are critical to operating a successful business. Our workshops will ensure your tax knowledge is fit for purpose so you can add value to your organisation.
This workshop will use a mix of presentations and practical case studies to cover the following*:
• Tax Knowledge Sharing – essential updates.
• Corporate income tax compliance refresher including advanced corporate income tax case studies.
• Changes resulting from the Tax Working Group recommendations including capital gains tax and what it could mean for your NZ business and investments.
• Assessing your eligibility and how to claim your R&D tax credit for 2019.
• PAYE issues including new reporting requirements and keeping compliant with a mobile workforce.
• Challenges for a multinational business including the practical impacts of BEPs changes and the ATO ruling on corporate residency.
• Risks and opportunities presented by the new Customs Act.
• GST updates including imported low value goods and digital services.
• Tax functions of the future.
• Fringe Benefits - the risks associated with providing rewards.
*The above topics are, based on the workshops we ran during 2018. The actual content will be finalised closer to the time to ensure the workshops are up to date and relevant to you in the rapidly changing tax world.
Understand your responsibilities and requirements in meeting your New Zealand Tax obligations.
What we will be covering?
• Overview of NZ tax system including key updates on recent, upcoming and proposed legislative changes.
• Outcomes of the Tax Working Group review including next steps.
• New R&D tax credit – how does it work, who is eligible and how can you claim it?
• Corporate Tax case study – a practical session where you will work with your peers to identify and deal with complex corporate tax issues.
• Immigration update – key issues all employers of migrants need to be aware of including new border approval system for all visitors to NZ.
• Base Erosion Profit Shifting – reminder of the rules, what we are seeing in practice and guidance on compulsory BEPs disclosures applying to some 2019 and all 2020 years (covering transfer pricing, hybrids and thin capitalisation).
• Shorter technical case study questions covering a range of topics including (but not limited to):
Employee share schemes, PAYE v FBT, building disposals, business sales, GST on entertaining, etc
• FBT – typical mistakes we see, areas of IRD focus and challenge, various short questions to test your knowledge.
• GST – recent and upcoming legislative changes, areas of IRD focus and challenge, pitfalls to avoid.
• PAYE – IRD focus on employee reimbursements and allowances, new rules and interpretations, Payday filing update, treatment of
• Corporate governance – what does the IRD expect of taxpayers?
• Centre of management and control – the challenges of running a Trans-Tasman business.
Senior PwC New Zealand tax specialists will present and facilitate the workshops, including:
Tom McCallum is a Director in PwC’s Wellington office with over 15 years of tax experience. He started his career with PwC in London before moving to Wellington in 2009. He has a broad base of clients across different industries including high net worth individuals, private businesses and partnerships, multinationals and listed companies. Tom leads the delivery of NZ tax services to over 50 clients that are headquartered in Australia and has wide experience in advising clients on complex tax issues as well as focussing on the annual compliance processes and the challenges these bring.
Phil is a Partner in PwC's Wellington Office. Phil’s primary focus is to provide the full suite of tax advisory and risk management services to central government and crown entity agencies, local government and their associated entities, as well as the tertiary and health sectors.
With more than 20 years of tax experience, Phil brings a deep understanding of the unique technical tax issues that arise in the public sector, along with a broad perspective of the wider legislative and political considerations. He has significant experience providing expert tax advice to a range of audiences, including those with a limited understanding of tax legislation.
Sub-Topic: Business Tax, Employment Taxes - PAYE, PAYG & FBT, GST, Income Tax, Income Tax (inc CGT), International Tax, State/Territory Taxes, Tax Administration
Proficiency Level: Intermediate, Advanced
CPD: 14 hours