Special Tax & Superannuation topics 2022-23 - Cognitive decline, your clients, your risks
30% of Australians aged over 80 suffer from some form of dementia. The loss of capacity across a generation that has accumulated $3.5 trillion in assets raises serious issues for individuals, their families and their trusted advisers.
This session, crafted by industry experts, will provide advisers with key tools to help clients and their families through this crucial juncture.
After successful completion of this topic, participants should be able to:
- Explain the nature of cognitive decline and the legal ramifications that stem from this classification
- Identify common red-flags around an individuals' cognitive decline and identify potential financial elder abuse
- Manage client affairs where there is a risk of cognitive decline as well as actual diagnosed loss of legal capacity; and
- Apply this knowledge to realistic client scenarios.
This session forms part of the Special Tax & Superannuation Topics Series. These concise 1.5-hour sessions have been specifically designed for an online platform to ensure training is informative, immersive and even fun. These sessions will:
- Ensure you get the critical knowledge you need while minimising your time out of the office.
- Assist you in providing proactive tax and superannuation advice and identifying tax planning opportunities early
- Help you avoid any possible traps and pitfalls
- Give you answers to the questions most relevant to you.
Our partnership with Thomson Reuters gives you the most up-to-date information, updated regularly and enhanced by our technical specialists.
Continuing Professional Development Hours
The content covered in this topic should constitute verifiable CPD for CA ANZ, has been assessed for ASIC and FASEA CPD and also meets the Tax Practitioners Board's CPE requirements. The expected CPD hours to be allocated are as follows:
|CA ANZ||Up to 1.5 CPD hours|
|Legislated CPD (FASEA)||Up to 1.5 hours (General)|
|ASIC||Up to 1.5 hours (General)|
|Tax Practitioners Board||Up to 1.5 CPD hours|
This series is presented by our Senior Tax & Superannuation trainers:
James McPhedran, Senior Tax and Superannuation Trainer, CA ANZ
James has 18 years’ experience in the industry, including roles at the Big Four accounting firms and advisory roles at mid-tier firms. He has been an educator with Chartered Accountants ANZ for 9 years. His advanced knowledge of taxation and superannuation has allowed him to focus on small to medium enterprises and high net worth individuals. James holds a bachelor’s degree in law and economics from the University of Queensland and a Master of Taxation from the University of Sydney
Lydia Kovacevich, Senior Tax and Superannuation Trainer, CA ANZ
Lydia has over 20 years of experience in the tax and accounting industry working for, at various times, a ‘big four’ accounting firm, a second-tier firm, a global oil and gas service company, a tax training organisation and the Australian Taxation Office.
During this time Lydia acquired extensive experience in tax and accounting matters relevant to various types of entities and industries and gained a wealth of experience in writing about tax. Lydia has strong analytical and technical abilities and is very passionate about tax education.
Sub-Topic: Income Tax
Format: Recorded Webinar
Proficiency Level: Intermediate, Advanced
CPD: Upto 1.5 hours